Judge Henry H Booth was born in Dorset, Vermont on 3 April 1803 to Zachary & Frances Booth, removing with them to Weedsport, New York at age 21 and finally to Allegan County at age 33 (in 1836). While in residence at Allegan County, Judge Booth served that county as Deputy Clerk for 3 terms, then as the county’s first County Court judge in 1847.
His biographer notes:
“In 1856 he built the Pine Grove Seminary wholly at his own expense and purely as a benevolent enterprise. He employed the most experieflced teachers, the school soon obtained an enviable reputation, and up to the time of his failing health he exercised a watchful care over its interests.”
He sold the seminary to teh school district in 1865.
- N.a., s.v. “Biography of Judge Henry H. Booth,” History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their men and pioneers (Philadelphia: D W Ensign & Co, 1880); Henry Franklin Thomas, A Twentieth Century History of Allegan County, Michigan (Allegan: Lewis Publishing Co, 1907).
- History of Allegan and Barry Counties (op. cit.).