In the early days of the District Court (then called County Courts), there were two judges serving at a time, one called the “first judge” and the other called the “second judge”. Today, the former is called the “Chief Judge.” Judge Eber Sherwood was the first occupant of the office of “second judge” for Allegan County, taking the bench in 1847 and serving a term of four years alongside “first judge” Henry H Booth. He passed away 14 November 1868 and was interred in Mountain Home Cemetery in Otsego, Allegan County, Michigan.
- “United States Census, 1830,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XHP3-TP7 : accessed 14 Dec 2008), Eber Sherwood, 1830.
- “Michigan, Deaths, 1867-1897,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N3DK-B25 : accessed 14 Dec 2008), Eber Sherwood, 14 Nov 1868.