Judge Ebenezer Parkhurst was born in Sharon, Windsor County, Vermont on 4 August 1779, the son of Revolutionary War veteran Lieut. Ebenezer Parkhurst (1746-1831). Before moving to Allegan, Michigan, Judge Parkhurst served Windsor County, Vermont as Sheriff from 1827  until his departure from that place with his second wife Lucy (nee Cushing), his first wife (the former Mary Morehouse) having predeceased him on 27 Dec 1812.
Judge Parkhurst was the second probate judge to serve Allegan County, relieving Judge Oka Town of that office in 1837. His political career began as the deputy/accountant to charter County Register Alexander L. Ely from 1835 to 1836. On 8 November 1836, at the first session of the 3rd Circuit Court, future-Judge Parkhurst was named to the Grand Jury for the purpose of establishing the Allegan County Bar Association. George Y Warner immediately petitioned the body for admission to the Bar as an attorney and counselor-at-law, and was examined and approved by the County’s judges (Judges Town & Ransom, and Judge Ransom’s associate judges Elisha Ely and John Anderson) that same day, having already achieved acceptance to the Bars of Virginia, Georgia, and Tennessee some years prior.
Judge Parkhurst’s first act as probate judge in 1837 was to close the estate of Royal Sherwood which had been begun under the administration of Judge Town in December 1835. He served in the bench only one term, running for and winning election to the post of County Register in 1840 and holding that office from 1841 to 1844. Judge Parkhurst died in Allegan on 25 March 1844.
- Evelyn M. Wood Lovejoy, History of Royalton, Vermont with Family Genealogies, 1769-1911 (Burlington, VT : Free Press Printing Co., 1911), 900.
- State Vital Record Collection, Vermont
- History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of their Prominent Men and Pioneers (Philadelphia: D W Ensign & Co, 1880).
- Yvonne Ashcraft Parkhurst’s transcription with notations, Parkhurst Family Association Records, (FHL Film #944210, typescript copy, originally by W.C. Parkhurst).