Judge David Stockdale served as an Allegan County Probate Judge for 12 years (1885-1896), being admitted to the Michigan State BAR Association in 1884. On 5 Aug 1874, he married Mary E Doxey. He was the first Probate Judge to serve in the new courthouse built in 1888, replacing the dilapidated old Baptist church which had previously served as the county’s courthouse.
David Stockdale–Representative from the second district of Allegan county, was born at Wainfleet, Lincolnshire, England, July 26, 1838. The family emigrated from England to America in 1854, and settled on a farm in Branch county, Michigan, where the parents resided until their death. He attended school at Croft, England, until twelve years of age, when he was obliged to begin work as a blacksmiths apprentice. In the year 1858 he opened and carried on a blacksmiths shop at Wayland, Allegan county, until 1865, when he purchased a farm and devoted his time to agriculture. While on the farm he commenced the study of law, was admitted to the bar and began practice in the year 1884. He has held the office of justice of the peace for twenty-four years, supervisor for ten years, president of Wayland village for seven years, president of Allegan village one year, judge of probate of Allegan county twelve years, and is now extensively engaged in agriculture and senior member of the firm of David Stockdale & Son, attorneys. He is an ardent Republican, was a member of the Republican state central committee for two years, chairman of the Republican county committee for ten years, and was elected to the legislature of 1906 by a vote of 2,482 to 833 for John Kolvoord.
- Henry Franklin Thomas, A Twentieth Century History of Allegan County, Michigan (Lewis Publishing Company, 1907), 11.
- From Michigans Official Directory and Legislative Manual for the years 1905-1906. Compiled by George A. Prescott, Secretary of State.