Judge Charles Wiley Whipple was the successor to Judge Epaphroditus Ransom in the 3rd Circuit Court. His tenure lasted only 2 years (1851-1853). He had previously served from 1839 to 1955 as a Justice on the Michigan Supreme Court, including four years (1848-1851) as Chief Justice of that Body.
Judge Whipple was born in 1805 in Fort Wayne, Indiana, the son of War of 1812 veteran Maj. John Whipple and Archange LePelletier, and he died at the young age of 50 on 29 October 1855 while still serving on the State Supreme Court bench.
The West Point graduate was studied in Latin and US Law, having had a private practice in Detroit following his admittance to the Bar. He served in the State Legislature from 1835 to 1837, followed by a year as State School Inspector bridging to his appointment to the Supreme Court. His service in the State Legislature included serving as Secretary to the Michigan Constitutional Convention of 1835. He also attended the 1850 Constitutional Convention, representing Berrien County.
- Henry Franklin Thomas, A Twentieth Century History of Allegan County, Michigan (Allegan: Lewis Publishing Co, 1907), 548.
- s.v. Charles W Whipple, Findagrave.com.
- Robert B. Ross, The Early Bench and Bar of Detroit: 1805 – 1850 (Detroit: Richard P. Joy and Clarence M. Burton, 1907).
- Constitutional Convention attendance rosters, Michigan Constitutions, 53-54.